Wednesday, January 20, 2010



Before attending Trinity, I’d never really shown any interest in theatres and had probably only attended one to see a play or two. Little did I know, that as I got a job as a scenic painter at Trinity’s Stieren Theatre, I would begin to spend a lot of my time in there and grow to love the place. It was kind of humorous at the beginning though, because everything was new to me and I had no idea what was going on, unlike the other upperclassmen workers who seemed to do everything out of habit. Due to the unfortunate fact that I had never been behind the curtains, instructions would need to be repeated to me pretty often. However, as I got the hang of it I began to learn a lot from my job. I was really surprised to find out all the hard work and time that needed to be invested in shows. The two shows that were put up last semester, “The Real Inspector Hound” and “Urinetown” the musical, turned out to be pretty spectacular, and it was all due to everyone who worked in it. The students from the workshop, who are amongst the first ones to clock in and the last ones to clock out, amazed me by how they built towers, platforms, walls, floors, etc. in so little time! The students who work in Props took care of every little detail there is, from rugs, lamps and candles, to fake money, couches and so much more. The workers from the costume shop did a great job creating wardrobes that perfectly fit the style of the play; I was personally impressed by the police costumes of “Urinetown”. We, the scenic painters, were very successful at creating illusions in the audience. For these plays we had to paint brick walls, which the audience easily confused with the real brick walls; we grained towers, painted a very rusty scenery for “Urinetown”, rusted up some props, sewers and countless other things! Last but not least, the excellent actors and actresses that performed in both plays! They would rehearse restlessly up until midnight sometimes! Everything paid off, however, because both plays turned out GREAT. I am looking forward to putting up other shows this semester, and don’t worry, I will keep you updated!


Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

http://drop.io/sherryrodas/asset/voice-message-thursday-01-apr-04-42am-gmt-voice-mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment